From a single data table to a collection of data assets, anything can be a data product in Atlan. Data products provide a framework for your teams to curate assets specific to a domain, business unit, region of operation, brand, and more. These curated data products then empower your data consumers to easily discover data assets, quickly get the context they need, and collaborate more efficiently.
As organizations shift from centralized data architectures, build a new paradigm of governance with data products in Atlan.
Here is the order of operations for data products:
- Create a data domain
- (Optional) Add data subdomains
- (Optional) Create domain policies
- Create data products within the data domain
- Discover and collaborate on data products
- Track and monitor domain usage
Atlan currently supports the following user roles for data products:
- Domain owner — overall domain management and reporting
- Domain admin — creation and management of data domains, data subdomains, and domain policies
- Data producer — creation and management of data products
- Data consumer — discovery and documentation of data products
Components of a data product
Start by clicking Products from any screen in Atlan and select a data product from the homepage:
This section displays important details about the data product:
- Data product status — current status of the data product:
- Active — data product is active for consumption
- Sunset — data product is planned for retirement
- Archived — data product is archived and will no longer be available to users
- Domain name — view and navigate to the data domain that the data product belongs to
- Criticality — view business criticality rating:
- High — high business impact
- Medium — moderate business impact
- Low — internal or non-business impact
- Sensitivity — view sensitivity score for data product classification:
- Public — may be freely accessible
- Internal — may only be distributed within the organization
- Confidential — may only be limited to a specific domain or team within an organization
- Freshness — time for when the data product was last updated
- Description of the data product
- Linked assets at a glance
- List of assets designated as output ports
This section displays a list of assets that allow users to consume the data product across multiple domains. A data product can have multiple output ports. Click the output port icon to open the asset sidebar and view more details.
This section allows you to add a README to your data product. READMEs can help you provide detailed documentation about the product to your data consumers.
Based on the principles of data as a product, product scores can help you signal the accuracy and completeness of your data products, helping build trust in them. Atlan calculates and assigns a product score to your data products based on a preset criteria of metadata completeness.
The sidebar to the right of the product profile allows you to view and add metadata, depending on your domain permissions:
- Under Description, click to enter a description of your own, use Atlan AI, or apply an automated suggestion.
- Under Terms, click + to add terms and offer contextual information for your data product.
- Under Owners, click + to assign owners to the data product.
- Under Tags, click + to attach a tag and configure tag propagation for all assets in the data product.
- Under Certificate, click + to update the certification status. Choose from four certificate options — Draft, Verified, Deprecated, and No certificate.
Product profile header
This section helps you perform quick actions. From the top right of the product profile:
- Click the user avatars to view a list of recently visited users, total views on your product, total number of unique visitors, and total views by user.
- Use the days filter to filter product views and user activity in the last 7, 30, and 90 days.
- This feature is turned on by default — admins can turn off user activity.
- Click the star button to star your product and bookmark it for easy access.
- Click the Slack or Teams icon to post on a Slack or Microsoft Teams channel.
- Click the 3-dot icon to add an announcement or a resource to your asset.
The Assets tab provides a comprehensive list of assets included in the data product:
- Search for specific assets in the sidebar
- View assets designated as output ports
- Select an asset to view more details in the asset sidebar
- View queried at source information for all assets
The Activity tab provides a changelog for your data product.
- Activity — view details about changes made to the data product and filter for specific types of metadata changes
- Views — view top and recent users of the data product
- Producers — view information about when the data product was created and last updated and by whom
The Collaboration tab allows you to view collaborators on your data product.