If your Atlan tenant is hosted on a custom domain — for example,
https://<your-tenant-name>.mycompany.com — you will need to configure your Atlan tenant to deploy the Atlan add-in for Microsoft Excel.
- The Atlan add-in must be centrally deployed from the Microsoft 365 admin center.
- You must have access to a Windows machine to install Microsoft PowerShell.
Install PowerShell to deploy the Atlan add-in for custom domains:
- Windows: PowerShell comes pre-installed on most modern Windows systems. If you need to upgrade the package, you can download it from the Microsoft website.
- macOS: Open Terminal and run:
brew install --cask powershell
- Linux: Open Ubuntu and run:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install -y powershell
For other distributions, refer to Microsoft's PowerShell installation guide.
Configure the add-in for Microsoft Excel
To install the Atlan add-in directly in Microsoft Excel:
- Open PowerShell and run the following command to install the required module:
Install-Module -Name O365CentralizedAddInDeployment -Scope CurrentUser
- Run the following command to import the module:
Import-Module -Name O365CentralizedAddInDeployment
- Run the following command to connect to the organization add-in service:
- In the Microsoft authorization dialog, select an account to authenticate the connection.
- (Optional) Run the following command to list existing add-ins in the organization:
- Run the following command to set a custom domain for the Atlan add-in:
Set-OrganizationAddInOverrides -ProductId <your-product-ID> -AppDomains "<your-custom-domain>"
<your-product-ID>with the product ID of the Atlan add-in.
<your-custom-domain>with your organization's custom domain.
(Optional) Troubleshooting add-in connectivity
This section is optional if you deployed the Atlan add-in for the first time in your organization after completing the steps above. Your users will be able to connect Atlan to Microsoft Excel from your custom domain.
However, if any user tried to set up the add-in prior to the configuration above, they may not able to connect Atlan to Microsoft Excel. In that case, Atlan recommends clearing the add-in cache using the following steps.
Clear Microsoft Excel Online cache
To clear the local storage of your Microsoft Excel online app, from Google Chrome:
- Open a blank Microsoft Excel workbook.
- From the top right of your browser, click the vertical three dots icon for more menu options.
- From the more options menu, click More Tools and then click Developer Tools.
- In the top menu of developer tools, click Application.
- In the left menu of the Application tab, under Storage, click Local storage.
- Find an entry for
https://***-excel.officeapps.live.com. Right-click on the entry and then click Clear.
- Refresh the Microsoft Excel Online app in your browser.
Clear Microsoft Excel cache on Mac
To clear the Microsoft Excel cache on Mac:
- Close Microsoft Excel.
- Use the Finder to navigate to the
- Search for
a313dc5c-6ca5-4346-abfc-c84c57d4b9dcand delete all the files and folders returned in the search results.
- Restart your Microsoft Excel app.
Clear Microsoft Excel cache on Windows
To clear the Microsoft Excel cache on Windows:
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- From the ribbon, navigate to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Trusted Add-in Catalogs.
- In Trusted Web Add-in Catalogs, select the checkbox Next time Office starts, clear all previously-started web add-ins cache.
- Close Microsoft Excel and then restart it to clear the add-in cache. Once it has restarted, the checkbox will be deselected automatically.