To integrate Astronomer/OpenLineage with Atlan, review the order of operations and then complete the following steps.
Create an API token in Atlan
Before running the workflow, you will need to create an API token in Atlan.
Select the source in Atlan
To select Astronomer/OpenLineage as your source, from within Atlan:
- In the top right of any screen, click New and then click New workflow.
- From the filters along the top, click Orchestrator.
- From the list of packages, select Astronomer Airflow Assets and then click Setup Workflow.
Configure the integration in Atlan
To configure the Astronomer/OpenLineage connection, from within Atlan:
- For Host, enter the URL of your Astronomer Airflow UI.
- (Optional) For Port, enter the port number for your Astronomer Airflow UI.
- For Enable OpenLineage Events, click Yes to enable the processing of OpenLineage events or click No to disable it. If disabled, new events will not be processed in Atlan.
- For Connection Name, provide a connection name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users who are able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, no one will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- To run the workflow, at the bottom of the screen, click the Run button.
Configure the integration in Astronomer
Astronomer has a built-in OpenLineage integration. You will need to use environment variables in Astronomer to set custom values for the integration with Atlan.
To configure Astronomer to send OpenLineage events to Atlan:
- Open your Astronomer console and select a workspace.
- In the left menu under Workspace, click Deployments and then select a deployment.
- On your deployment page, click the Variables tab.
- On the Variables page, click the Edit variables button.
- Add the following environment variable keys and corresponding values:
- Click Update Environment Variables to save your changes. It can take up to two minutes for new variables to be applied to your deployment.
Once the orchestrator has completed running, you will see Airflow DAGs and tasks along with lineage from OpenLineage events in Atlan! 🎉