READMEs add context to your data assets. README templates simplify and standardize the README documentation process.
Admin users in Atlan can create, curate, and manage the templates from the governance center. Once admin users have created the templates, other users will be able to select these templates and enrich the asset profile of their assets. They will also be able to see a rich preview of each template before adding the relevant documentation.
Define your README templates
Begin by asking what kind of information will be most helpful for the people who work with the data.
A good starting point is going over all the questions that you and your team of metadata curators have received from your organization in the past few months about your data. We recommend checking out the 5W1H framework to help you define your ideal template.
Create your README templates
To create your own README templates, complete these steps:
- In the left menu in Atlan, click Governance.
- Under the Governance heading, click Readme templates.
- In Readme templates, click Get started.
- In the Untitled Template dialog box, enter the following details:
- For template name, type a name for your template.
- For template description, add a description.
- (Optional) To add an icon, click on the image icon.
- Click Create to proceed.
- In the text editor, add your template.
- Click Save.
- (Optional) To edit the template, in the upper right of the screen, click the pencil icon.
Your README template will now be available in the templates manager! 🎉