Install the extension
To install Atlan's Chrome extension:
- Find the extension in Chrome's web store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/atlan/fipjfjlalpnbejlmmpfnmlkadjgaaheg
- In the upper right of the page, click Add to Chrome.
- When prompted for confirmation, click the Add extension button.
At present, it is not possible to install Chrome extensions on mobile devices or tablets.
Configure the extension
To configure the Chrome extension, once installed:
- In your Chrome browser, enter the following URL to go directly to the Atlan extension's options:
- In the Options page this opens:
- Enter the URL for your Atlan instance, and click Continue.
- When successful, you will see the message Successfully connected with Atlan.
- (Optional) If your data tools are hosted on custom domains, rather than the standard SaaS domain of each tool:
- Click the Not able to see Atlan logo in your tool? link at the bottom.
- In the drop-down on the left, select your data tool.
- In the text box on the right, enter the custom domain you use for that tool.
- Repeat these steps for each tool hosted on a custom domain.
- In the lower-right corner click the Save button, when finished.
- You can now close the Options tab.
The extension is now ready to use! 🎉
Access and enrich context in-flow
To access context for an asset, from within a supported tool:
- Log into the supported tool.
- Open any supported asset.
- In the lower-right corner of the page, click the small Atlan icon.
🚨 Careful! The icon to activate Atlan is not the extension icon that appears at the top of your Chrome browser. This small Atlan icon in the lower right corner of the page is the only way to access the metadata for the asset you are viewing in another tool.
- In the sidebar that appears:
- Click the tabs and links to view all context about the asset.
- Make changes to any of the metadata you'd like.
Now you can understand and enrich assets without leaving your data tools themselves! 🎉
Search for metadata
To search for context for any information on any website:
- Select the text you'd like to search on the web page you're viewing.
- Right-click, and then select Search in Atlan 🏡.
The extension will open a new browser tab on Atlan's discovery page, with the results for that text! 🎉
Currently, the Chrome extension supports assets in the following tools:
- Google BigQuery: datasets, schemas, views, and tables
- Looker: dashboards, explores, and folders
- Microsoft Power BI: dashboards, reports, dataflows, and datasets
- Mode: collections, reports, queries, and charts
- Tableau: dashboards, data sources, workbooks, and metrics
- Salesforce (non-Lightning experience)
- Snowflake (via Snowsight schema explorer): databases, schemas, tables, and views