To crawl metadata from Hive, complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select Hive as your source:
- In the top right of any screen in Atlan, navigate to +New and click New Workflow.
- From the Marketplace page, click Hive Assets.
- In the right panel, click Setup Workflow.
Provide your credentials
With Direct extraction method, Atlan connects to your database and crawls metadata directly.
Direct extraction method
To enter your Hive credentials:
- For Host Name, enter the host name (or PrivateLink endpoint) for your Hive instance.
- For Port, enter the port number for your Hive instance.
- For Username, enter the username you created for that instance.
- For Password, enter the password for the username.
- For Default Schema, enter the default schema name for your Hive instance.
- Click the Test Authentication button to confirm connectivity to Hive.
- Once authentication is successful, navigate to the bottom of the screen and click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the Hive connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users who are able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, no one will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- For Allow SQL Query, click Yes if you want your users to be able to run a SQL query on the assets or click No.
- For Allow Data Preview, click Yes if you want your users to be able to view a sample preview of the assets or click No.
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and click Next to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the Hive crawler, you can further configure it.
On the Metadata page, you can override the defaults for any of these options:
- To select the Hive assets you want to exclude from crawling, click Exclude Metadata. (This will default to no assets if none are specified.)
- To select the Hive assets you want to include in crawling, click Include Metadata. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
Run the crawler
To run the Hive crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To check for any permissions or other configuration issues before running the crawler, click Preflight checks.
- You can either:
- To run the crawler once immediately, at the bottom of the screen, click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly, at the bottom of the screen, click the Schedule Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets on Atlan's asset page! 🎉