Once you've connected Atlan with Microsoft Excel, you can download impacted assets in Microsoft Excel. This can help you assess the downstream impact of any changes made to an upstream asset for impact analysis.
Download impacted assets in Microsoft Excel
To import impacted assets in Microsoft Excel:
- In the menu bar of your Microsoft Excel workbook, click Atlan.
- From the Atlan tab, click Import Lineage to open a list of your assets in a sidebar.
- (Optional) To filter your assets by a specific asset type, in the Atlan sidebar, select the asset type.
- In the Atlan sidebar on your worksheet, you can either:
- Individually select the data asset(s) you want to import.
- To the left of the Import button, click the Select All checkbox to select all the assets that have loaded in the sidebar. (Optional) Scroll down and click Load more to load more assets in the sidebar.
- To select the type of impacted assets you'd like to download, in the Atlan sidebar, from the Direction dropdown:
- To download the impacted assets in Microsoft Excel:
- Click Import Lineage to download all the impacted assets in one sheet.
- Click the vertical three dots and then click Import to new sheet to download the assets in separate sheet tabs.
- (Optional) Once download is successful, click the asset links in your spreadsheet to view the assets in Atlan.
The impacted assets are now available in Microsoft Excel! 🎉
Update column metadata for impacted assets
Once you've imported your impacted assets from Atlan, you can edit the column metadata for impacted assets in Microsoft Excel. You can make changes to the column metadata once all the columns have been imported successfully.
You can only make changes to the metadata in the following columns:
- Owner Users
- Owner Groups
- Certification Status
- Certification Message
- Announcement Type
- Announcement Title
- Announcement Message
You cannot make the following changes:
- Edit headers for any of the columns
- Edit the metadata in the following columns:
- Source Asset
- Source Asset Connector
- Source Asset Type
- Impacted Asset
- Impacted Asset Connector
- Impacted Asset Type
- Propagated Tags
- Source URL
- Qualified Name
- Source Asset GUID
- Impacted Asset GUID
- Delete any columns or rows
Any of these changes will not be pushed to Atlan and you'll receive an error message.
Push changes to Atlan
Once you've made changes to the column metadata, to push your changes:
- In the menu bar of your Microsoft Excel workbook, click the Atlan tab.
- From the top left of the Atlan tab, click Atlan and then click Sync to Atlan.
- A dialog box will appear once the changes have synced