Once you have configured the SAP HANA permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and SAP HANA.
To crawl metadata from SAP HANA, review the order of operations and then complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select SAP HANA as your source:
- In the top right of any screen in Atlan, navigate to New and then click New workflow.
- From the Marketplace page, click SAP HANA Assets.
- In the right panel, click Setup Workflow.
Choose your extraction method:
- In Direct extraction, Atlan connects to your database and crawls metadata directly.
- In S3 extraction, you will need to first extract metadata yourself and make it available in S3.
Direct extraction method
To enter your SAP HANA credentials:
- For Host, enter the host name for your SAP HANA instance.
- For Port, enter the port number for your SAP HANA instance.
- For Username, enter the username you created for the instance.
- For Password, enter the password for the username.
- Click the Test Authentication button to confirm connectivity to SAP HANA.
- Once authentication is successful, navigate to the bottom of the screen and then click Next.
S3 extraction method
Atlan supports the offline extraction method for fetching metadata from SAP HANA. This method uses Atlan's metadata-extractor tool to fetch metadata. You will need to first extract the metadata yourself and then make it available in S3.
To enter your S3 details:
- For S3 bucket name, enter the name of your S3 bucket. If you are reusing Atlan's S3 bucket, you can leave this blank.
- For S3 prefix, enter the S3 prefix under which all the metadata files exist. These include
columns-<database>.json, and so on.
- For S3 region, enter the name of the S3 region.
- When complete, at the bottom of the screen, click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the SAP HANA connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users who are able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, no one will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and click Next to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the SAP HANA crawler, you can further configure it.
On the Metadata page, you can override the defaults for any of these options:
- To select the SAP HANA assets you want to include in crawling, click Include Metadata. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
- To select the SAP HANA assets you want to exclude from crawling, click Exclude Metadata. (This will default to no assets if none are specified.)
Run the crawler
To run the SAP HANA crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To check for any permissions or other configuration issues before running the crawler, click Preflight checks.
- You can either:
- To run the crawler once immediately, at the bottom of the screen, click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly, at the bottom of the screen, click the Schedule & Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets on Atlan's asset page! 🎉