Once you have configured the MongoDB permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and MongoDB.
To crawl metadata from MongoDB, complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select MongoDB as your source:
- In the top right of any screen in Atlan, navigate to +New and click New Workflow.
- From the Marketplace page, click MongoDB Assets.
- In the right panel, click Setup Workflow.
Provide your credentials
To enter your MongoDB credentials:
- For Extraction method, Direct is the default selection.
- For SQL interface host name, enter the host name of the SQL (or JDBC) endpoint you copied from your MongoDB database.
- For Authentication, Basic is the default method.
- For Username, enter the username you created in your MongoDB database.
- For Password, enter the password you created for the username.
- For MongoDB native host, enter the host name of your MongoDB database you copied.
- For Default database, enter the name of the default database you copied from your MongoDB database.
- For Authentication database, enter the name of the authentication database you copied from your MongoDB database.
adminis the default selection — learn more about authentication databases in MongoDB.
- For SSL, keep Yes to connect via a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) channel or click No.
- Click the Test Authentication button to confirm connectivity to MongoDB.
- Once authentication is successful, navigate to the bottom of the screen and click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the MongoDB connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users who are able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, no one will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and click Next to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the MongoDB crawler, you can further configure it.
On the Metadata Filters page, you can override the defaults for any of these options:
- To select the assets you want to include in crawling, click Include Metadata. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
- To select the assets you want to exclude from crawling, click Exclude Metadata. (This will default to no assets, if none specified.)
- To have the crawler ignore collections based on a naming convention, specify a regular expression in the Exclude regex for collections field.
Run the crawler
To run the MongoDB crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To run the crawler once, immediately, at the bottom of the screen, click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly, at the bottom of the screen, click the Schedule & Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets on Atlan's asset page! 🎉