As a data team ourselves, we know that metadata curation can be time-consuming. To simplify that process, each time you fill in a metadata gap, Atlan looks for other places to reuse that information.
- You add the description Information about customers to a table called
- Atlan will look for any other tables called
CUSTOMERwithout a description.
- Atlan suggests Information about customers as the description for these other
Metadata suggestions are currently available for:
Atlan is always working behind the scenes to help fill in the gaps! 🎉
- Simplify metadata curation
- Reduce human error
- Improve consistency across the data stack
Frequently asked questions
Where can I see suggestions?
On the asset sidebar, where the user generally visits the widgets for metadata updates.
Are suggestions available for everything in my instance?
Suggestions are only available for assets of the same type with the same name, with one exception. Metadata suggestions can be propagated across tables and views with the same name.
- You are on a
CUSTOMERtable asset with no description.
- You will only see a suggestion if there is another
CUSTOMERtable or view asset with a description already in place.
- If there is a column called
CUSTOMERwith a description, you will not see its description as a suggestion on a table named
If my asset already has that field populated, will there be a suggestion to update it?
No, suggestions are currently only available for assets without that field populated.
Do suggestions work across asset types (for example, from database to BI dashboard)?
No, currently Atlan only provides suggestions for the same asset type.
Will Atlan make suggestions for similar but not identical assets?
Not exactly. Currently, Atlan makes suggestions for assets that have exactly the same name.
- Two tables named
CUSTOMERSwill not share suggestions.
- But two tables named
CUSTOMER, even if one is in Snowflake and the other is in BigQuery, will share suggestions.
Does Atlan come up with its own suggestions?
No, Atlan only suggests what has already been filled in for some other asset. Atlan does not create its own suggestions.
How are suggestions provided for owners?
When you update an owner for an asset type, for example, a table asset:
- Atlan automatically checks other table assets with the same name and provides the owner you updated as a suggestion.
- This works even if the owner has been updated via a workflow or API-based bulk updates.