Atlan propagates classifications to related assets for you automatically.
To downstream assets
Atlan propagates classifications through lineage. For example:
- You classify a column as PII.
- That column has downstream columns (in lineage).
- Atlan will classify those downstream columns as PII, too.
This is particularly useful when you want to classify data for protection reasons. When combined with purposes, Atlan will protect all downstream copies of the data automatically.
To child assets
Atlan also propagates classifications from parents to children. For example:
- You classify a database table as Marketing.
- Atlan will classify all the columns in that table as Marketing, too.
This is particularly useful when you want to classify data for a business domain or project use. Atlan will include all assets under the level you classify in that business domain or project.