Once you have configured the Metabase user permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and Metabase.
To crawl metadata from Metabase, complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select Metabase as your source:
- In the top right of any screen, navigate to New and then click New Workflow.
- From the list of packages, select Metabase Assets and click on Setup Workflow.
To enter your Metabase credentials:
- For Host Name enter the full URL for your Metabase instance, including the
- For Port enter the port number of your Metabase instance.
- For Authentication enter the Username and Password you configured.
- At the bottom of the form, click the Test Authentication button to confirm connectivity to Metabase using these details.
- When successful, at the bottom of the screen click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the Metabase connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, nobody will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Next to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the Metabase crawler, you can further configure it.
You can override the defaults for any of the remaining options:
- Select collections you want to include in crawling in the Include Collections field. (This will default to all collections, if none are specified.)
- Select collections you want to exclude from crawling in the Exclude Collections field. (This will default to no collections, if none are specified.)
💪 Did you know? If a collection appears in both the include and exclude filters, the exclude filter takes precedence.
Run the crawler
You can now run the Metabase crawler.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Run to run the crawler once, immediately.
- Click Schedule & Run to schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly or monthly.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets in Atlan's asset page! 🎉