Once you have configured the Matillion user permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and Matillion.
To crawl metadata from Matillion, review the order of operations and then complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select Matillion as your source:
- In the top right of any screen in Atlan, navigate to +New and click New Workflow.
- From the Marketplace page, click Matillion Assets.
- In the right panel, click Setup Workflow.
Provide your credentials
To enter your Matillion credentials:
- For Extraction method, Direct is the default selection.
- For Hostname, enter the host name of your Matillion instance.
- For Authentication, Basic Authentication is the default method.
- For Username, enter the username you created in Matillion.
- For Password, enter the password you created for the username.
- For SSL, keep Enabled to connect via a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) channel or click Disabled.
- Click the Test Authentication button to confirm connectivity to Matillion.
- Once authentication is successful, navigate to the bottom of the screen and click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the Matillion connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users who are able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, no one will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and click Next to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the Matillion crawler, you can further configure it.
On the Metadata Filters page, you can override the defaults for any of these options:
- To select the assets you want to include in crawling, click Include Projects. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
- To select the assets you want to exclude from crawling, click Exclude Projects. (This will default to no assets, if none specified.)
- For Enable Lineage, keep the default option Yes to crawl lineage or click No to disable it. End-to-end lineage is currently not supported for Matillion version 1.68 LTS due to limitations of the Matillion APIs — only lineage for asset transformations is supported at present.
Run the crawler
To run the Matillion crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To run the crawler once, immediately, at the bottom of the screen, click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly, at the bottom of the screen, click the Schedule & Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets on Atlan's asset page! 🎉