Once you have configured the Redpanda Kafka permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and Redpanda Kafka.
To crawl metadata from Redpanda Kafka after uploading the results to S3, complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select Redpanda Kafka as your source:
- In the top right of any screen in Atlan, navigate to +New and click New workflow.
- From the Marketplace page, click Redpanda Kafka Assets.
- In the right panel, click Setup Workflow.
In S3 extraction, you need to first extract metadata yourself and make it available in S3.
To enter your S3 details:
- For Extraction method, S3 is the default selection.
- For S3 bucket name, enter the name of your S3 bucket.
- For S3 prefix, enter the S3 prefix under which all the metadata files exist. These include
topic-configs.json, and so on.
- (Optional) For S3 region, enter the name of the S3 region.
- When complete, at the bottom of the screen, click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the Redpanda Kafka connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users who are able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, no one will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and click Next to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the Redpanda Kafka crawler, you can further configure it.
On the Metadata page, you can override the defaults for any of these options:
- To select the assets you want to exclude from crawling, click Exclude topics regex. (This will default to no assets, if none specified.)
- To select the assets you want to include in crawling, click Include topics regex. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
Run the crawler
To run the Redpanda Kafka crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To run the crawler once, immediately, at the bottom of the screen, click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly, at the bottom of the screen, click the Schedule & Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets on Atlan's asset page! 🎉