Atlan imports your dbt tags and allows you to update your dbt assets with the imported tags.
Once you've crawled dbt:
- Your dbt assets in Atlan will be automatically enriched with their dbt tags.
- Imported dbt tags will be mapped to corresponding Atlan tags through case-insensitive name match — multiple dbt tags can be matched to a single tag in Atlan.
- You can also attach dbt tags to your dbt assets in Atlan — allowing you to categorize your assets at a more granular level.
Import dbt tags to Atlan
Atlan imports existing dbt tags through one-way tag sync. The imported dbt tags are matched to corresponding tags in Atlan through case-insensitive name match and your dbt assets enriched with the tags synced from dbt.
To allow Atlan to import and sync dbt tags, you will need to do the following:
- Create tags or have existing tags in dbt.
- Set up dbt Cloud or dbt Core to integrate with Atlan.
- Configure the dbt crawler to import existing tags from dbt to Atlan. For Import Tags, click Yes to import dbt tags or click No to disable it.
Once the crawler has completed running, tags synced from dbt will be available to use for tagging assets! 🎉
View dbt tags in Atlan
To view synced dbt tags:
- From the left menu of any screen, click Governance.
- Under the Governance heading of the Governance center, click Tags.
- From the left menu under Tags, select a synced dbt tag — synced tags will display the dbt icon next to the tag name.
- In the Overview section, you can view a total count of synced dbt tags. To the right of Overview, click Synced tags to view additional details — including tag name, description, total count of linked assets, connection name, and timestamp for last synced.
- (Optional) Click the Linked assets tab to view linked assets for your dbt tag.
- (Optional) In the top right, click the pencil icon to add a description and change the tag icon. Tags synced from dbt cannot be renamed.
You can now attach dbt tags to your dbt assets in Atlan! 🎉