We can deploy Atlan in one of three configurations. The deployment and management of the components within the orange box is how they differ.
|Multi-tenant||Shared compute, isolated data||Atlan-managed|
|Single-tenant||Isolated compute, isolated data||Atlan-managed|
For more detail, see How are resources isolated?
- Kong is an API gateway. It handles rate limiting and token verification on all incoming API requests.
- Apache Keycloak is an identity and access management component. It manages everything to do with users, login, SSO and so on.
- Heracles is Atlan's API service. It houses the business logic used by the frontend and APIs to interact with other platform components.
- PostgreSQL is a SQL database. Many services on the platform use it for storage.
- HashiCorp Vault is a secret manager. It stores sensitive credentials provided by the user.
- Apache Ranger is the policy engine. It provides fine-grained access control over data in the metastore.
- Argo Workflows is a workflow orchestrator for k8s. It runs and manages long-running jobs in a container and k8s-native fashion.
- Admission Controller is a k8s admission controller. It performs certain actions when Argo Workflows are updated such as workflow alerts.
- Metastore stores metadata as data in a graph store. It is based on Apache Atlas and has fine-grained access control on top.
- Apache Kafka is an event stream. It enables event-driven use cases across the platform.
- Heka is Atlan's SQL component. It parses, rewrites and optimizes SQL queries and is powered by Apache Calcite.
- Redis is a cache layer used by Heracles.
Platform management components
- Velero performs cluster backups.
- Rancher is a cluster manager. It performs cluster actions after receiving instructions from the central Rancher Instance Manager.
- Replicated is a release manager. It manages releases on the cluster.
- Alertmanager sends alerts generated by metrics stored in Prometheus.
- Grafana provides observability dashboards.
- Prometheus is a time-series database to store metrics.
- Kibana explores and filters log data stored in Elasticsearch.
- Fulentbit is a logging and metrics processor. It parses and pushes logs from pods to various destinations.
- Elasticsearch stores and indexes logs.
- Pager Duty is used for incident response. We get alerts when something goes wrong in one of the clusters.
- Replicated is a release and license manager. It performs actions around creating new licenses and releases.
- Argo CD is used for continuous deployment. Changes in our git repositories lead to upgrades in the clusters.
- Github Actions update the Docker container images as part of our development processes.
- Sendgrid is used to send emails.
- Frontend S3 bucket is used to push static front-end assets (HTML, CSS, JS) over a CDN.
Atlan marketplace (not pictured)
Our marketplace of packages (workflows) that perform long-running tasks on the Atlan platform. We use this ecosystem of packages to build our metadata and lineage connectors.