What if you want to block access to data for your users, and only allow them to access metadata?
There are different ways to do this in Atlan. From the most wide-reaching to the most granular, they are:
Block all querying
To stop all users from querying data, across all data assets:
- From the left menu of any screen, click Admin.
- Under Workspace, click Labs.
- Toggle the Insights option off. (This should also deactivate all sub-options of Insights.)
Block by source
When setting up crawler
To stop all users from accessing data for a source, when setting up the crawler:
- Set Allow SQL Query to No to stop users from querying any data in the source.
- Set Allow Data Preview to No to stop users from previewing any data in the source.
So to block all access to data for that source, set both options to No.
When setting up connection's credentials
You can configure the credentials for some data sources without data access permissions.
- If the credentials cannot query data, Atlan will not be able to query or preview data.
- If Atlan cannot query or preview data, no users in Atlan can query or preview data either.
Block by asset
To stop users from querying or previewing data for specific assets:
- Define a persona with a data policy that denies access to those assets.
- Add the users to that persona.
Block by tag
To stop users from querying or previewing data that has a particular tag:
- Define a purpose on that tag.
- Within the purpose, define a data policy that denies query access for those users. (This will also apply to data previews.)
Even if only a single column has the tag, Atlan will block querying and previewing of the entire asset.