Once you have configured the Monte Carlo permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and Monte Carlo.
To crawl metadata from Monte Carlo, review the order of operations and then complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select Monte Carlo as your source:
- In the top right of any screen in Atlan, navigate to +New and click New Workflow.
- From the Marketplace page, click Monte Carlo.
- In the right panel, click Setup Workflow.
Provide your credentials
To enter your Monte Carlo credentials:
- For Authentication, API Key Authentication is the default selection.
- For API Key ID, enter the API key ID you copied.
- For API Secret, enter the API secret you copied.
- Click the Test Authentication button to confirm connectivity to Monte Carlo.
- Once authentication is successful, navigate to the bottom of the screen and click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the Monte Carlo connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users who are able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, no one will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and click Next to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the Monte Carlo crawler, you can further configure it.
On the Metadata page, you can override the defaults for any of these options:
- To select the assets you want to include in crawling, click the Include filter. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
- To select the assets you want to exclude from crawling, click the Exclude filter. (This will default to no assets, if none specified.)
- To enable crawling assets with specific incident statuses, click Include Incident Statuses and select the relevant option(s). To include unresolved incidents by default, we recommend selecting the No Status and Investigating filters. (This will default to all incident statuses, if none are specified.)
Run the crawler
To run the Monte Carlo crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To check for any permissions or other configuration issues before running the crawler, click Preflight checks.
- You can either:
- To run the crawler once immediately, at the bottom of the screen, click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly, at the bottom of the screen, click the Schedule Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets on Atlan's asset page! 🎉