With two of your most important workspaces connected, you can save time and improve the way you share data assets with your team.
Once you integrate Slack with Atlan you can do all of the following — all without leaving Atlan!
- Share data assets on Slack
- Link important Slack threads to Atlan assets
- Start Slack conversations
- Set up Slack notifications for glossary updates and starred assets
When users share assets on Slack (like assets, glossaries and saved queries) Atlan provides an embedded preview and context for the asset directly in Slack.
Ask questions about assets, without leaving Atlan
To ask questions about assets on Slack, without leaving Atlan:
- For any asset, in the asset sidebar, click the Slack icon.
- In the Share on Slack dialog:
- For Channel, choose the Slack channel where you want to post your question.
- For Message, enter the question you want to ask on the Slack channel. (Optional) Type
@to select another user from your Atlan workspace and tag them in your message.
- (Optional) For Add as a resource, toggle the slider on to add the message as a resource to your asset. When you add the message as a resource, anyone viewing the asset in Atlan will be able to see previous discussions in Slack about that asset.
- Click Share to post on Slack.
Your message is now on Slack and linked to the asset for future reference! 🎉
Add existing Slack discussions to assets
Ever discussed a data asset in Slack? It's important to bring that context back to your asset.
From within Slack
To add existing discussions in Slack into Atlan, from Slack:
- On any discussion in Slack, open the context menu for actions and click Send to Atlan.
- Find the asset you want to link the discussion to:
- For Title enter a brief summary of the discussion.
- For Asset Types select the type of asset you want to link the discussion to.
- For Asset start typing in the asset you want to link the discussion to. Slack will run a search against Atlan and give you a list of options — select your asset from the list.
- At the bottom right of the dialog, click the Submit button.
Your existing discussion on Slack is now linked to the asset for future reference. And Atlan has even updated the discussion thread with a link to the asset for everyone's convenience within Slack! 🎉
From within Atlan
To add existing discussions in Slack into Atlan, from Atlan:
- From the asset, on the right of the screen, click the Slack sidebar icon:
- If there are existing discussions on the asset, to the right of Slack Conversations, click the Add link.
- If there are no existing discussions on the asset, click the Add Slack Thread button.
- In the Add Slack Thread dialog, under the Link heading, paste the link to the Slack discussion.
- Under the Title heading, write a brief description of the discussion. This will only be displayed to users who have not linked their Slack account.
- At the bottom of the dialog, click the Add button.
Your existing discussion on Slack is now linked to the asset for future reference! 🎉
Start direct chats from Atlan user profiles
To start a direct chat with another Atlan user:
- Hover over any username.
- In the resulting dialog, click the Say Hi Slack icon next to the user's name.
You are now in a direct chat with that user in Slack! 🎉
Enable alerts for glossary updates in Atlan
You can set up Slack notifications for updates made to your glossaries in Atlan. You can also customize the type of change alerts you want to receive. With real-time alerts sent to a Slack channel of your choice, you'll be able to stay informed about the latest changes to your glossaries.
Slack notifications can only be set up at the glossary level. Even if configured from a specific term or category profile, the notification settings will be applicable to the entire glossary.
To enable Slack notifications for glossary updates, from Atlan:
- From the left menu on any screen, click Glossary.
- Under Glossary in the left menu, click the name of the glossary for which you want to set up change notifications.
- From the top right of the glossary profile, click the bell icon to set up notifications for glossary updates.
- In the notifications setup dialog, click Slack and then enter the following details:
- For Notification channel, click the dropdown to select a Slack channel where you want to receive notifications from the channel(s) configured in your Slack integration in Atlan.
- For Notify me about, you can either:
- Click All updates to receive notifications for all the changes listed in Custom updates made to your glossary.
- Click Custom updates to limit notifications to specific types of updates:
- Click + New term or category to receive an alert when a new term or category is added to the glossary.
- Click Name to receive an alert when the name of the glossary or that of a nested category or term is updated.
- Click Description to receive an alert when a description is added to, updated, or removed from the glossary or a nested category or term.
- Click Announcement to receive an alert when an announcement is added to, updated, or removed from the glossary or a nested category or term.
- Click Certificate to receive an alert when a certificate is added to, updated, or removed from the glossary or a nested category or term.
- Click Owners to receive an alert when an owner is assigned to or removed from the glossary or a nested category or term.
- Click Readme to receive an alert when a README is added to, updated, or removed from the glossary or a nested category or term.
- Click Tags (for terms) to receive an alert when a tag is attached to or removed from a term within the glossary.
- Click Categories updated (for terms) to receive an alert when a term is assigned to a different category within the same glossary. (Notifications for moving terms across glossaries are currently not supported.)
- Click Remove term to receive an alert when a term is removed from the glossary. (Notifications for removal of categories are currently not supported.)
- Click Save to save your notification preferences.
- (Optional) To edit notification settings, click the bell icon. In the notifications setup dialog, you can change the channel or further customize your notifications.
- (Optional) To remove notifications, click the bell icon. In the notifications setup dialog, click the Enabled (by username) dropdown. Click Remove notification to reset your notification settings.
You will now receive Slack notifications for changes made to your glossary! 🎉
If the Slack channel you selected for sending notifications is removed from your Slack integration in Atlan, glossary alerts will continue to be sent to that channel. In that case, you can either remove the notifications or select a different channel.
Query Atlan from within Slack
To search for terms in Atlan from within Slack:
/search-term <search words>.
- Review the results (only visible to you).
- Send any result(s) you want to the channel.
You've now shared terms with others without ever leaving Slack! 🎉
To search for queries in Atlan from within Slack:
/search-query <search words>.
- Review the results (only visible to you).
- Send any result(s) you want to the channel.
You've now shared queries with others without ever leaving Slack! 🎉
Provide context for any asset link
Other times you may have a link for an asset already. You can do more than just share the link — Atlan's bot will expand the context of that link directly in Slack.
To provide detail for an asset in Slack:
- Paste an asset link into Slack, along with any other context in your message.
- The Atlan bot will expand the link with a card of contextual metadata.
The channel can now understand the basics about the asset without ever leaving Slack! 🎉
View workflow alerts in Slack
You can configure the Slack integration to receive alerts for workflow activities from Atlan. This can help you monitor your workflows directly in Slack. You can also choose to receive failure alerts only.
To view workflow alerts in Slack:
- Open the Slack channel you configured to view workflow notifications.
- The Atlan bot will share workflow alerts — including details like run status, start time, run time, trigger type, and last three runs.
- (Optional) Click View on Atlan to open the workflow link in Atlan.
You can now inspect crawled assets or troubleshoot in case of any failed workflows.
Take action on requests in Slack
To take action on requests in Slack:
- From the left Apps menu in Slack, click the Atlan app.
- If request notifications are enabled, the app will display requests raised in Atlan — including asset name and basic information, and the type of metadata update requested. To take action on a request:
- Click Reject to reject the update.
- Click Accept to accept the update.
The status of the request will be updated in Slack to inform your team that no further action is required.