Atlan allows admin users to create tags called "classifications" for data assets. You can use these tags in several ways:
- To identify important characteristics of data assets
- For grouping different assets together
- To apply granular access policies against those groupings
💪 Did you know? As the volume of your data and its consumption increases, classifications help you maintain data security.
For example, you can use classifications to identify assets according to:
- Data protection guidelines such as GDPR and CCPA compliance
- Industry information security practices, such as:
- CIA (Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability) ratings of data assets
- ISO 2700x data classification schemes, for example Public, Internal, Confidential, and Restricted
- Governmental schemes for classified information such as Top Secret, Secret, and Confidential
For details on classifying assets, see How to attach a classification.