To build effective data governance, you need to control data access across your organization. Atlan handles this through access control policies.
By default in Atlan, all users can see the existence of all assets. However, you may want to limit specific teams from being able to see all assets in Atlan.
All you need to do is turn off the default behavior, so that your member and guest users will only have access to the assets curated through their personas and purposes. Admin users will still have full access to all assets, even when this default behavior is turned off.
Imagine a user who belongs to an
Insurance Member purpose. Once you turn off the default behavior, this user will have access to:
- View details only about the curated assets in the
- Search and discover only the curated assets in the
- View details only about the related assets in the
- View only the linked assets in the
Insurance Memberpurpose for glossary terms.
- View all assets in the lineage graph, but only view details in the sidebar for assets in the
If the user is a member of multiple purposes and personas, the assets they can view will be the superset of assets across all those purposes and personas.
Disable all assets view
The All assets view on the Assets page is enabled for all users by default. To turn it off for your member and guest users, complete the following steps.
To disable all assets view:
- From the left menu in Atlan, click Admin.
- Under Workspace, click Labs.
- Under the Access Control heading of the Labs page, turn off View "All assets" in Assets Discovery.
Your member and guest users will now only have access to the curated assets for their persona or purpose by default! 🎉
If you'd like to enable the all assets view, follow the steps above and then turn it on.