Don't want to use a single shared service account to access data?
With bring your own credentials (BYOC) users need to provide their own credentials before they can query data. Each user's permissions in the data store itself are then applied to each query. This is helpful for organizations that have already invested in defining granular controls in their data stores. With BYOC you can reuse those controls without any extra work!
Enable BYOC in general
Before you can enable BYOC for specific connections, you must enable it in general. To enable BYOC in general:
- From the left menu of any screen, click Admin.
- Under the Workspace heading, click Labs.
- Under the Insights heading of the Labs page, turn on Enforce user credentials.
Enable BYOC on a connection
To enable BYOC on a connection:
- From the left menu of any screen, click Assets.
- From the pills below the search bar at the top of the screen, click Connection.
- From the list of results, select the connection where you want to enable BYOC.
- From the sidebar on the right, next to Query settings click Edit.
- In the Query Settings dialog, under Connection credential type click Enforce user credentials.
- At the bottom right of the Query Settings dialog, click Update.