Once you have configured the AWS Glue access permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and AWS Glue.
To crawl metadata from AWS Glue, complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select AWS Glue as your source:
- In the top right corner of any screen, navigate to New and then click New Workflow.
- From the list of packages, select Glue Assets, and click Setup Workflow.
To enter your AWS Glue credentials:
- For Authentication choose the method you configured when setting up the AWS Glue access permissions:
- At the bottom, enter the Region of your Glue deployment.
- For IAM User authentication, enter the AWS Access Key and AWS Secret Key you configured.
- For IAM Role authentication:
- Leave AWS Role ARN blank to use role-based authentication.
- To use role delegation-based authentication, set the AWS Role ARN to the ARN of the role you created in your AWS account.
- To use role delegation-based authentication with an external ID, under External ID click the Generate button. Click the button to the right of this to copy the generated ID and use this in setting up your trust policy.
- Click Test Authentication to confirm connectivity to AWS Glue using these details.
- When successful, at the bottom of the screen click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the AWS Glue connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might want to use values like
- (Optional) To change the users able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, nobody will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- (Optional) To prevent users from querying any AWS Glue data, change Allow SQL Query to No.
- (Optional) To prevent users from previewing any AWS Glue data, change Allow Data Preview to No.
- At the bottom of the screen, click the Next button to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the AWS Glue crawler, you can further configure it.
You can override the defaults for any of these options:
- Select assets you want to include in crawling in the Include Metadata field. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
- Select assets you want to exclude from crawling in the Exclude Metadata field. (This will default to no assets, if none are specified.)
💪 Did you know? If an asset appears in both the include and exclude filters, the exclude filter takes precedence.
Run the crawler
To run the AWS Glue crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To run the crawler once, immediately, at the bottom of the screen click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly or monthly, at the bottom of the screen click the Schedule & Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets in Atlan's asset page! 🎉