Once you have configured the Microsoft Power BI user permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and Microsoft Power BI.
To crawl metadata from Microsoft Power BI, complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select Microsoft Power BI as your source:
- In the top right of any screen, navigate to New and then click New Workflow.
- From the list of packages, select Power BI Assets and click on Setup Workflow.
To enter your Microsoft Power BI credentials:
- For Authentication, choose the method you want to use to access Microsoft Power BI:
- At the bottom of the form, click the Test Authentication button to confirm connectivity to Microsoft Power BI using these details.
- Once successful, at the bottom of the screen click the Next button.
Configure the connection
To complete the Microsoft Power BI connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might want to use values like
- (Optional) To change the users able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, nobody will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- At the bottom of the screen, click the Next button to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the Microsoft Power BI crawler, you can further configure it.
You can override the defaults for any of these options:
- Select the Microsoft Power BI workspaces you want to include in crawling in the Include Workspaces field. (This will default to all workspaces, if none are specified.)
- Select the Microsoft Power BI workspaces you want to exclude from crawling in the Exclude Workspaces field. (This will default to no workspaces, if none are specified.)
- As described in the detailed mapping, Atlan will automatically certify assets that are endorsed in Microsoft Power BI. To suggest these endorsements instead of directly applying them, change Attach Endorsements from Power BI to Send a Request.
Run the crawler
To run the Microsoft Power BI crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To run the crawler once, immediately, at the bottom of the screen click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly or monthly, at the bottom of the screen click the Schedule & Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets in Atlan's asset page! 🎉