Once you have configured the Looker user permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and Looker.
To crawl metadata from Looker, complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select Looker as your source:
- In the top right of any screen, navigate to New and then click New Workflow.
- From the list of packages, select Looker Assets and click on Setup Workflow.
Choose your extraction method:
- In Direct extraction, Atlan connects to Looker and crawls metadata directly.
- In S3 extraction, you need to first extract metadata yourself and make it available in S3.
Direct extraction method
To enter your Looker credentials:
- For Host Name enter the full URL for your Looker API host, including the
- For Client Id enter the client ID you generated when setting up user permissions.
- For Client Secret enter the client secret you generated when setting up user permissions.
- (Optional) For Field Level Lineage:
- For Private SSH Key paste the private SSH key for the key you configured in GitHub.
- For Passphrase for the private key enter the passphrase that protects the key, if any. (If the key is not protected by a passphrase leave this blank.)
- At the bottom of the form, click the Test Authentication button to confirm connectivity to Looker using these details.
- When successful, at the bottom of the screen click the Next button.
S3 extraction method
To enter your S3 details:
- For S3 bucket name enter the name of your S3 bucket. If you are re-using Atlan's S3 bucket, you can leave this blank.
- For S3 prefix enter the S3 prefix under which all the metadata files exist. These include
dashboards.json, and so on.
- (Optional) For S3 region enter the name of the S3 region.
- When complete, at the bottom of the screen click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the Looker connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might want to use values like
- (Optional) To change the users able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, nobody will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- At the bottom of the screen, click the Next button to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the Looker crawler, you can further configure it. (These options are only available when using the direct extraction method.)
You can override the defaults for any of these options:
- Select Looker folders you want to include in crawling in the Include Folders field. (This will default to all folders, if none are specified.)
- Select Looker projects you want to include in crawling in the Include Projects field. (This will default to all projects, if none are specified.)
- Select Looker folders you want to exclude from crawling in the Exclude Folders field. (This will default to no folders, if none are specified.)
- Select Looker projects you want to exclude from crawling in the Exclude Projects field. (This will default to no projects, if none are specified.)
Run the crawler
To run the Looker crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To run the crawler once, immediately, at the bottom of the screen click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly or monthly, at the bottom of the screen click the Schedule & Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets in Atlan's asset page! 🎉