Once you have configured the PostgreSQL user permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and PostgreSQL. (If you are using a private network for PostgreSQL, you will need to set that up first, too.)
To crawl metadata from PostgreSQL, complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select PostgreSQL as your source:
- In the top right of any screen, navigate to New and then click New Workflow.
- From the list of packages, select Postgres Assets and click on Setup Workflow.
To enter your PostgreSQL credentials:
- For Host enter the host for your PostgreSQL instance.
- For Port enter the port number of your PostgreSQL instance.
- For Authentication choose the method you configured when setting up the PostgreSQL user:
- For Basic authentication, enter the Username and Password you configured in PostgreSQL.
- For IAM User authentication, enter the AWS Access Key, AWS Secret Key, and database Username you configured.
- For IAM Role authentication, enter the database Username you configured.
- For Database enter the name of the database to crawl.
- Click Test Authentication to confirm connectivity to PostgreSQL using these details.
- When successful, at the bottom of the screen click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the PostgreSQL connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, nobody will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Next to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the PostgreSQL crawler, you can further configure it.
You can override he defaults for any of these options:
- Select assets you want to exclude from crawling in the Exclude Metadata field. (This will default to no assets, if none are specified.)
- Select assets you want to include in crawling in the Include Metadata field. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
- To have the crawler ignore temporary tables based on a naming convention, specify a regular expression in the Temporary table regex field.
Run the crawler
To run the PostgreSQL crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To run the crawler once, immediately, at the bottom of the screen click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly or monthly, at the bottom of the screen click the Schedule & Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets in Atlan's asset page! 🎉