Once you have configured the Google BigQuery user permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and Google BigQuery.
To crawl metadata from Google BigQuery, complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select Google BigQuery as your source:
- In the top right corner of any screen, click New and then click New Workflow.
- From the list of packages, select BigQuery Assets and click Setup Workflow.
To enter your Google BigQuery credentials:
- For Project Id enter the value of
project_idfrom the JSON for the service account you created.
- For Service Account Json paste in the entire JSON for the service account you created.
- For Service Account Email enter the value of
client_emailfrom the JSON for the service account you created.
- At the bottom of the form, click the Test Authentication button to confirm connectivity to Google BigQuery using these details.
- When successful, at the bottom of the screen click the Next button.
Configure the connection
To complete the Google BigQuery connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might want to use values like
- (Optional) To change the users able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, nobody will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- (Optional) To prevent users from querying any Google BigQuery data, change Allow SQL Query to No.
- (Optional) To prevent users from previewing any Google BigQuery data, change Allow Data Preview to No.
- At the bottom of the screen, click the Next button to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the Google BigQuery crawler, you can further configure it.
You can override the defaults for any of these options:
- Select assets you want to include in crawling in the Include Metadata field. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
- Select assets you want to exclude from crawling in the Exclude Metadata field. (This will default to no assets, if none are specified.)
- To have the crawler ignore tables and views based on a naming convention, specify a regular expression in the Exclude regex for tables & views field.
💪 Did you know? If a folder or project appears in both the include and exclude filters, the exclude filter takes precedence.
Run the crawler
To run the Google BigQuery crawler, after completing the steps above:
- To check for any permissions or other configuration issues before running the crawler, click Preflight checks.
- You can either:
- To run the crawler once immediately, at the bottom of the screen, click the Run button.
- To schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly, at the bottom of the screen, click the Schedule Run button.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets in Atlan's asset page! 🎉