Once you have configured the Microsoft SQL Server user permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and Microsoft SQL Server.
To crawl metadata from Microsoft SQL Server, complete the following steps.
Select the source
Select Microsoft SQL Server as your source:
- In the top right of any screen, navigate to New and then click New Workflow.
- From the list of packages, select MSSQL Assets and click on Setup Workflow.
Enter your Microsoft SQL Server credentials:
- For Host enter the availability group listener name.
- For Port enter the port on which Microsoft SQL Server is available (default is 1433).
- For Username enter the username created when setting up user permissions.
- For Password enter the password created when setting up user permissions.
- For Database enter the name of the database.
- Click Test Authentication to confirm connectivity to Microsoft SQL Server using these details.
- When successful, at the bottom of the screen click Next.
Configure the connection
Complete the Microsoft SQL Server connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, nobody will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- (Optional) To prevent users from querying any Microsoft SQL Server data, change Allow SQL Query to No.
- (Optional) To prevent users from previewing any Microsoft SQL Server data, change Allow Data Preview to No.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Next to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the Microsoft SQL Server crawler, you can further configure it.
- Select assets you want to include in crawling in the Include Metadata field. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
- Select assets you want to exclude from crawling in the Exclude Metadata field. (This will default to no assets, if none are specified.)
- To have the crawler ignore temporary tables based on a naming convention, specify a regular expression in the Temporary table regex field.
Run the crawler
You can now run the Microsoft SQL Server crawler.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Run to run the crawler once, immediately.
- Click Schedule & Run to schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly or monthly.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets in Atlan's assets page! 🎉