Once you have configured the Snowflake user permissions, you can establish a connection between Atlan and Snowflake. (If you are also using a private network for Snowflake, you will need to set that up first, too.)
To crawl metadata from Snowflake, complete the following steps.
Select the source
To select Snowflake as your source:
- In the top right of any screen, navigate to New and then click New Workflow.
- From the list of packages, select Snowflake Assets and click on Setup Workflow.
To enter your Snowflake credentials:
- For Account Identifiers (Host) enter the host (or PrivateLink endpoint) for your Snowflake instance.
- For Authentication choose the method you configured when setting up the Snowflake user:
- For Basic authentication, enter the Username and Password you configured in either Snowflake or the identity provider.
- For Keypair authentication, enter the Username, Encrypted Private Key, and Private Key Password (if any) you configured.
- For Role select the Snowflake role through which the crawler should run.
- For Warehouse select the Snowflake warehouse in which the crawler should run.
- Click Test Authentication to confirm connectivity to Snowflake using these details.
- When successful, at the bottom of the screen click Next.
Configure the connection
To complete the Snowflake connection configuration:
- Provide a Connection Name that represents your source environment. For example, you might use values like
- (Optional) To change the users able to manage this connection, change the users or groups listed under Connection Admins.
🚨 Careful! If you do not specify any user or group, nobody will be able to manage the connection — not even admins.
- (Optional) To prevent users from querying any Snowflake data, change Allow SQL Query to No.
- (Optional) To prevent users from previewing any Snowflake data, change Allow Data Preview to No.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Next to proceed.
Configure the crawler
Before running the Snowflake crawler, you can further configure it.
You must select the extraction method you configured when you set up Snowflake for Atlan. For the Account Usage method, specify:
- the Database Name of the cloned Snowflake database
- the Schema Name of the cloned
You can override the defaults for any of the remaining options:
- Select assets you want to include in crawling in the Include Metadata field. (This will default to all assets, if none are specified.)
- Select assets you want to exclude from crawling in the Exclude Metadata field. (This will default to no assets, if none are specified.)
- To have the crawler ignore temporary tables based on a naming convention, specify a regular expression in the Temporary table regex field.
- To exclude lineage for views in Snowflake, change View Definition Language to No.
If you have received a custom crawler configuration from Atlan Support, change Control Config to Custom and enter the value provided.
Run the crawler
You can now run the Snowflake crawler.
At the bottom of the screen, click Run to run the crawler once, immediately.
Click Schedule & Run to schedule the crawler to run hourly, daily, weekly or monthly.
Once the crawler has completed running, you will see the assets in Atlan's asset page! 🎉