To integrate Slack and Atlan follow these steps.
Retrieve Slack tokens
To retrieve Slack's integration tokens:
- Access your Slack apps console at: https://api.slack.com/apps
- At the bottom of the page, in the Your App Configuration Tokens box click the Generate Token button.
- In the Generate Your App Configuration Token dialog, from the Workspace drop-down choose your Slack workspace and then click the Generate button.
- From the Your App Configuration Tokens box:
- Under Access Token click the Copy button and save this temporarily.
- Under Refresh Token click the Copy button and save this temporarily.
Connect Atlan to Slack
To connect Atlan to Slack, from within Atlan:
- From the left menu, click Admin.
- Under Workspace click Integrations.
- In the Slack tile, click the Connect button.
- Enter the tokens copied above:
- For Access token enter the access token value.
- For Refresh token enter the refresh token value.
- Click Next to continue.
- Under Install the Atlan app in your Slack workspace click the Install now button.
- At the bottom of the resulting Slack popup, click the Allow button.
(Optional) Request permission from your Slack admin
If you are not a workspace administrator in Slack, you will be prompted to request permission to install. To request permission to install the integration:
- Under Add a message for your App Managers enter an explanation for installing the app.
- At the bottom of the form, click the Submit button.
- Contact your Slack workspace administrator and ask them to approve the Atlan app.
- Once approved, you'll get an alert in Slack from Slackbot.
- Once you receive the Slackbot alert, return to the Integrations menu in Atlan (in the Admin Center) and click the Add to Slack button.
Atlan is now connected to Slack! 🎉
Configure integration from Atlan to Slack
To configure the Slack integration from Atlan, from the Integrations sub-menu:
- Expand the Slack tile.
- Under the Configurations tab, enter channels to use in your Slack workspace. Enter the channel name without a
#, and press tab after each channel when you want to enter multiple channels.
- (Optional) For Channels, add any channels that users should be able to post to from within Slack.
- (Optional) For Workflows alert channel enter the name of a single channel that can be used to see alerts for workflow activities in Atlan.
- (Optional) For Query output share channels, add any channels where users should be able to share query output.
- At the bottom of the tile, click the Update button.
Users can now post to Slack without leaving Atlan! 🎉
Configure integration from Slack to Atlan
To configure the Atlan integration from Slack, from within Slack:
- Open each channel you want Slack users to be able to query Atlan from within.
- At the top of the channel, click the name of the channel.
- Change to the Integrations tab.
- In the Apps tile, click the Add an app button.
- Find the Atlan app under the In your workspace heading and click the Add button next to it.
Users can now search for assets in Atlan without leaving Slack! 🎉