To integrate Slack and Atlan follow these steps.
Retrieve Slack tokens
To retrieve Slack's integration tokens:
- Access your Slack apps console at: https://api.slack.com/apps
- At the bottom of the page, in the Your App Configuration Tokens box click the Generate Token button.
- In the Generate Your App Configuration Token dialog, from the Workspace drop-down choose your Slack workspace and then click the Generate button.
- From the Your App Configuration Tokens box:
- Under Access Token click the Copy button and save this temporarily.
- Under Refresh Token click the Copy button and save this temporarily.
Connect Atlan to Slack
To connect Atlan to Slack, from within Atlan:
- From the left menu, click Admin.
- Under Workspace click Integrations.
- In the Slack tile, click the Connect button.
- Enter the tokens copied above:
- For Access token enter the access token value.
- For Refresh token enter the refresh token value.
- Click Next to continue.
- Under Install the Atlan app in your Slack workspace click the Install now button.
- At the bottom of the resulting Slack popup, click the Allow button. (If you want more details on what each permission does, see What does Atlan do with each Slack permission?)
(Optional) Request permission from your Slack admin
If you are not a workspace administrator in Slack, you will be prompted to request permission to install. To request permission to install the integration:
- Under Add a message for your App Managers enter an explanation for installing the app.
- At the bottom of the form, click the Submit button.
- Contact your Slack workspace administrator and ask them to approve the Atlan app.
- Once approved, you'll get an alert in Slack from Slackbot.
- Once you receive the Slackbot alert, return to the Integrations menu in Atlan (in the Admin Center) and click the Add to Slack button.
Atlan is now connected to Slack! 🎉
Configure integration from Atlan to Slack
To configure the Slack integration from Atlan, from the Integrations sub-menu:
- Expand the Slack tile.
- Under the Configurations tab, enter channels to use in your Slack workspace. Enter the channel name without a
#, and press tab after each channel when you want to enter multiple channels.
- (Optional) For Channels, add any channels that users should be able to post to from within Slack.
- (Optional) For Workflows alert channel enter the name of a single channel that can be used to see alerts for workflow activities in Atlan. You can also choose to receive failure alerts only by toggling that slider on.
- (Optional) For Query output share channels, add any channels where users should be able to share query output.
- At the bottom of the tile, click the Update button.
Users can now post to Slack without leaving Atlan! 🎉
Configure integration from Slack to Atlan
To configure the Atlan integration from Slack, from within Slack:
- Open each channel you want Slack users to be able to query Atlan from within.
- At the top of the channel, click the name of the channel.
- Change to the Integrations tab.
- In the Apps tile, click the Add an app button.
- Find the Atlan app under the In your workspace heading and click the Add button next to it.
Users can now search for assets in Atlan without leaving Slack! 🎉