📕 Asset profile
The asset profile in Atlan gives you a quick and clear understanding of what a data asset contains. You can think of the asset profile as the TL;DR about your data.
💡 Read more about Atlan's asset profiles.
What's in an asset profile?
- 👩🏻🏫 Summary: The numbers of columns and rows, certification status (e.g. verified, work in progress, etc.), owner of the asset, and more
- 🏛️ Column Preview: An overview of column names and definitions
- 🤸 Sample Data: A snapshot of what the data looks like
- 🖼️ Readme: In-depth description of the asset that should provide all the context, knowledge, and links needed to fully understand the asset
- 🔦 Lineage: Visualization of how your data asset relates to other assets, which helps you figure out upstream and downstream dependencies
The Atlan glossary is a powerful tool for all types of data users. The glossary functions as a source of truth for teams to understand their data assets.
💡 Read more about the Atlan glossary.
👀 At a glance: The Atlan glossary is a rich tool for defining and organizing your data terms to improve transparency and share knowledge. No need to ask around about what a column name means. Start keeping all your definitions in one (searchable!) place.
An overview of the glossary workspace
The glossary provides key intel on your data assets so you can quickly understand important attributes of your data, such as...
- 💁 Owners of your data, so you know who to ask for clarification
- 📜 Certificate status, to easily understand if the data is still in progress or ready to be used
- 🖇️ Linked Assets that are relevant to the term, so you can explore other helpful material
💪 Did you know? The glossary helps power Atlan's powerful search tool, so tagging and defining assets are critical to helping your team find what they need.
We rely on search bars to find things in almost every corner of the internet. Atlan uses a similar search tool to help you explore your data assets. The discovery tool is Atlan's powerful in-platform search, powered by the terms, tags, and definitions you've added to your data.
💡 Read more about Atlan's discovery.
Here are a few of the things that make Atlan's discovery awesome:
- ♟️ Every attribute of your data is searchable in Atlan — saved SQL queries, schemas, links, and more. This lets you search far and wide to find exactly what you need.
Discovery allows you to toggle the type of data asset you are looking for.
- 🧩 Intelligent keyword recognition sees through your typos to show exactly what you wanted, no matter what you actually typed.
- 🚁 Search assets from just about any page in Atlan using Cmd/Ctrl+K or by clicking "Discover Assets".
- 💎 Control your search by using facets about your data (such as the verification status or owner) to find what's most important to you.
- 🚴♀️. Sort by popularity to quickly discover what assets your teammates are using every day.
Atlan was built by data teams for data teams, so we know that querying your data is crucial to answering important business questions.
SQL is the most common way that data teams query their data, so we wanted to make it easy for Atlan users to seamlessly query and share SQL work with their team.
💡 Read more about Atlan's insights.
Atlan's Insights Workspace allows teams to find the data they need, query it, and save and manage all SQL queries in one place. You can write SQL queries from scratch or use the Visual Query Builder to write SQL scripts quicker.
💪 The Visual Query Builder is a great way to start building complex queries without fluency in SQL. Think of it as "fill in the blank" but for queries!
Some of our favorite features about Insights:
- ⚡ Customize the SQL editor's look and feel with the Preferences section
- 🧠 Examine a data asset's lineage alongside your SQL editor, so you can effortlessly understand your data asset in relation to other assets
- 💾 Save, organize, and share your SQL queries