Atlan allows users to add tags to assets. You can use them to identify key characteristics of assets or group them together for usage or data protection.
💪 Did you know? Tag propagation is disabled by default in Atlan. You can enable tag propagation to child and downstream assets.
Directly tag an asset
To directly tag an asset:
- In the left menu from any screen in Atlan, click Assets.
- On the Assets page, click an asset to view its asset profile.
- Under Tags in the right menu, click the + icon.
- In the popup, check the boxes to select one or more tags for the asset.
- No propagation is the default setting. Next to your selected tag(s) in the popup, click Edit to configure the propagation of tags:
- Click Hierarchy & lineage to allow propagation of tags to the child and downstream assets.
- Click Hierarchy only (no lineage) to allow propagation of tags to the child assets only.
- Click No propagation to disallow any propagation of tags.
- (Optional) For Snowflake assets, you can attach a Snowflake tag, and if reverse sync is enabled, push the tag updates to Snowflake.
- (Optional) For dbt Cloud or dbt Core assets, you can attach a dbt tag.
- Click Update to confirm your selections.
- Click Save to save the tag(s) to your asset.
- (Optional) Hover over the attached tag to view tag propagation details in a popover, including username of the user who applied the tag, mode of tag propagation, and when the tag was configured.