A README is an essential part of every code repository. The better the README, the more collaborators will want to work on your code. The same holds true for your data assets.
Each data asset should have its own README, which provides a description of its characteristics and other critical information. Atlan allows users to add a README for every data asset, using an intuitive, rich text editor.
You can document the tribal knowledge associated with each data asset in a README and reduce dependencies on your team members. The README appears right below each data table in the asset profile, displaying the data and the metadata on the same page and bridging the gap between the two.
Add a README
A README can be added to different types of data assets in Atlan, including BI dashboards, widgets, columns, databases, and schemas. To add a README to an asset, follow these steps:
- On the Atlan homepage, click Assets in the left menu.
- Click on an asset to view its asset profile.
- In the Readme section of the asset profile, click +Add.
- You can either:
- Click +Blank Page to create a new README from scratch.
- Click Use to select an existing template as a starting point.
- Enter your knowledge into the README.
- Click Save.
Your README is ready to be shared! 🎉
Although it may take some time to create, a README is a critical step for documenting any data asset and making it trustworthy.
/to add images, code blocks, and more using the rich text options. This will make your README more readable.